kerosene explosion kills one Rivers
A kerosene explosion in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State has claimed one person and injured another.
The incident was said to have happened when a tenant, identified as Ikechukwu, an auto mechanic, poured kerosene into a stove, which he had set alight.
An eyewitness said that the loud sound of the bang drew the attention of neighbours, who helped in putting out a raging inferno that had already gutted Okechukwu’s entire apartment.
It was learnt that the explosion, which happened at around 8pm on Thursday on Ovunda Street, off Ikwerre Road, caused serious injuries to the two occupants of the house.
According to the eyewitness, who identified himself as Etim, said, “The stove was already on when he (Okechukwu) noticed that he needed to add kerosene to cook noodles.
“A lady inside his room didn’t sustain a serious injury like Okechukwu. Both of them were rescued and rushed to the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital at about 8.45pm on Wednesday.”
Ikechukwu’s landlord, Stanley Wike, said, “Ikechukwu locked the door while he was inside. You can see the noodles they were cooking before the incident happened.
“The fire affected him so much because he was struggling to open the door. There was a lady inside the room. People around had to break the window protector to rescue the lady.”